In 1641 in France, the congregation of the Sisters of Our lady of Charity was founded with a specific call to care for marginalized, exploited or sexually and socially abused young girls and women.
This was a specific request to the founder, St. John Eudes, by a group of women who were living in prostitution, to help them leave the kind of low undignified life.The sisters were invited to help women in difficulties in the city of Nairobi in 1959 and have been present in Kenya for about 52 years.
The Charisma and Mission of Sisters of Our Lady of Charity from the beginning has always been to serve wounded women from all sectors of life. In 1971, the foundation stone of Jamaa Mission Hospital was laid by the then first lady Mama Ngina Kenyatta at Uhuru Estate and a year later a 24 bed capacity hospital was opened by the then Minister for Health Hon. Omollo Okelo.
The sisters have cared for the girl-child, older girls and women from various social backgrounds, keeping their charisma of compassion and mercy for women and the family life ablaze.Jamaa Mission Hospital has existed for over thirty years and is a flagship of Sisters of Our Lady of Charity.
Initially, Jamaa Mission Hospital was established for the specific aim of taking care of the girl- child following the establishment of Jamaa Home, which welcomes abused young expectant girls and unprepared traumatized juveniles child-mothers to be.Most of them are 10 to 16 years old.